New beginnings

Tuesday, November 07, 2006



VOTING!

Yesterday, I participated in my newly American civic duty: I cast a ballot. In a scene reminscent of schoolhouse rock, I received my ballot and went into a little booth to do my voting thing. I didn't get to pull any levers, but I enjoyed filling in those little black ovals tremendously.

I became an American citizen over a year ago so I COULD bloody vote. I have been living here in "the States" for 12 years and have been paying taxes for as long, without the benefit of having ANY say in politics, from school board issues to local and federal government. That is as it should be; I don't think I should have been able to vote without citizenship. But now I can and am proud to be able to have played my part is yesterday's momentous rout. It's a brand new day!

1 Comments:

  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger Mrs. Chili said…

    "momentous rout" LOVE that line!

    Every couple of years, we get lulled into a sense that change can happen, that we can make a difference. I'm not sure I really believe that - the cynicism of old age is gaining on me, no matter how fast I try to outrun it - but every few years, hope peeks its head out from under the permafrost of American politics.

    Welcome to the party!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home