New beginnings

Thursday, December 07, 2006


More about ME


It's an interesting proposal, to examine your life and list things you think are interesting. Narcissism is us, eh? Well, when I listed these things (in my head, while riding a yellow bus on the way to a field trip), I found myself giggling. To myself. About myself. Do I need to be medicated or am I already?

11. I am pretty good at accents and used to teach my freshmen last year in a smorgasbord of voices including Scots (my personal favorite), plummy British and French Canadian. I have held a London accent for an entire day once and will soon attempt it with a Scottish one. May read Outlander again, first.

12. Used to be a mental case for the Beatles and, while I was in 8th grade, had to hear at least one song a day or the world would have ended. Did it end? Clearly I heard enough Beatles' songs.

13. I have held onto a box of baby clothes (in the basement) for 8 years as birth control.

14. I was a newscaster in University (Canadian for College) for the radio station and once laughed hysterically for an entire minute on air while I was supposed to be reading about the Cold War. I had to pinch myself to stop laughing.

15. I think that puns are laudable examples of linguistic and intellectual dexterity. Especially if they make me wince.

16. I have entire Monty Python routines memorized and have had for over 20 years. Surely there is better use for this valuable harddrive space; how do I download it???

17. My family celebrates Chanukah but also Sinterklaas, a Dutch holiday (my mom's from Amsterdam); every present my family gives must have a poem that goes with it! I have 23 poems to write before our gift orgy on the 16th.

18. At some point, I think I will go for my Ph.D. in education.

19. I had both my babies ( they are now 11 1/2 and 9) at home.

20. Shakespeare in Love makes me cry every time I watch it.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HA! Did you snort on the air?

    Pretty good at accents? You send me over the edge with the damned Scots accent - I want you to teach me to do that...

    I only saw Shakespeare in Love once - perhaps I should see it again - I don't remember crying.

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    RE: Laughing . . .That picture is of my very best friend. It was taken on her birthday and that night we saw the Pixies in Chicago, IL. I would love to know how it ended up on your blog.
    Cheers!

     
  • At 4:16 AM, Blogger organic mama said…

    I apologize for using it unauthorized - it came from a google search for a laughing woman and since it looks not unlike me, I thought to use it - it's a GREAT photo. I have moved this blog, and will remove it there and here.

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't think she minded you using it. We got a pretty good laugh over it actually.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home